The Mounties had two games this July long weekend and made good use of their Canada Day celebration. Four points were added to the win column with a victory over the Blues on Sunday and over the SWAT on Monday. These are crucial points, guaranteeing the Mounties second place in the division to allow for a preferable matchup in the first round of playoffs.

Game 1 against the Blues started off as a mini battle, with the Mounties scoring early, followed by a push back by the Blues and a quick one to follow from our very own Kumano. After that the Mounties dominated the rest of the first, playing solid defence and not allowing the Blues to score another. Seven more goals were delivered in the back of the Blues net, giving the boys a comfortable 9-1 lead going into the room.

The great defence continued for the Mounties, giving up three goals in the second but one was on the power-play. Willis started off the scoring with two quick ones to add to his first goal in the first period, giving him an early hat-trick. Henning also buried two more to complete the hat-trick, followed by four more from fellow Mounties to take a commanding 17-4 after two periods of play.

We saw two more players complete their hat-tricks in the third, Bot adding two towards his early goal in the first and Bunio sliding one passed the keeper with five minutes left to add to his other two geno’s. Henning also scored two more and Fitzgerald pitched in on the fun, making it a total of six for the Mounties in the third. The Mounties strong defence continued throughout the entire third and the boys only allowed three goals all period, solidifying a 23-7 victory!

Monday’s game against the SWAT started out a little more challenging for our Mounties as they gave up a quick one to start the period. We had an excellent push-back, delivering three goals within three minutes to take a 3-1 lead. Unfortunately, we allowed the SWAT to answer back with three of their own to close out the period, leaving the Mounties down 4-3 after 1.

Right off the draw, the boys had a brilliant start scoring 18 seconds out of the gate in the second, tying the game up at 4’s.  The SWAT put away two unanswered shortly after, taking a two-goal lead. Our Mounties were not done for the period however and wanted a lead going into the second. They scored five unanswered and took a 9-6 lead into the room, but were not finished there.